Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How Great is Our God!

So this past weekend was my visit to Montgomery to see Papa. We drove down to Birmingham to my best friends house Friday night. We got there around 11:30 (b/c of some CRAZY traffic, we should have arrived around 10:15!!). Anyways, we stayed at my friends house so that we wouldn't be in the way at Mimi's. Saturday morning we got up and left for Montgomery right after lunch. When we arrived Papa was awake so we got to go right back the bedroom to see him. When we walked in I could tell immediately that Papa knew who I was. I bent down and gave him a hug and said hello. It was hard for him to talk b/c at the time he only had one lung and it was almost completely covered in cancer. So...he mostly just nodded and turned his head to look at us while we were in the room. He seemed very content painwise but he did say that he wanted to fall asleep and not wake up. It was amazing how at peace with death he seemed to be. He was ready, his body just needed to catch up with him. Jarred and I spent about 30 minutes with him and then left the room to let him rest some. I was so happy that I got to see him and talk to him one last time.
Most of you know already but for those that don't we got the news yesterday that Papa had gone on to be with the Lord. It was incredible how fast it happened from when I was with him to the time we got the news yesterday. Saturday, when we were there, I remember talking with Mimi and Mom about how we thought he could live like this for a while, we knew he didn't want to but he seemed so content that we thought he would. Apparently with all the pain medication that he was on it was masking how bad he really was. By Sunday afternoon Papa had been put on liquid morphine (which I'm told is the most pain medication you can be on) and he became non-responsive as well. Hospice came in that afternoon and told everyone that it would be within 1-2 days. Although Papa was non-responsive Hospice assured us that he could still hear. About an hour before he died my Uncle Chris sang hymns to him. Mimi came in after Chris had finished to sit with Papa, she noticed that his breathing had changed and called my Mom in the room. Just before Papa breathed his last breath Mom and Uncle Chris both assured him that Mimi was going to be okay and that they were going to take very good care of her. After hearing this and that they both loved him very much Papa breathed his last breath and went on to be with the Lord. We had been praying after I left (After my visit, all the grandchildren had been able to see Papa and talk to him one last time) that God would take Papa home as soon as he could. God really does answer prayers. Mom, Mimi, & Chris are all very sad but they are also relieved that Papa is now in a better place. They are going to have a family viewing on Thursday morning and then the funeral will follow Thursday afternoon. We appreciate all your thoughts and prayers so much. I wouldn't have been able to get through this without all of you! I've really been strengthened throughout the entire process. God is working through my family and friends and I've been so blessed because of it. Thank you all.

8 comments:

Dahls said...

Love you guys. Be careful and give your mom a hug for me.

shelly

Nathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan said...

Your family is in our prayers.

Jennifer said...

Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. We will be thinking about you and your family and praying for peace.

Amanda said...

Jenn, I am deeply sorry to hear about your papa. I am glad that he went peacefully and is now with God. I am thinking about you and your family today as you remember his life. Have a safe trip.
God is Great!

Matt and Rachel said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I'll be keeping your whole family in my prayers. Love you guys--
Rachel

Keith Skinner said...

That's a beautiful account- as you know we have a banner at Beltline that says "Give glory to God & His son Jesus Christ"- I really think that was done through this experience with Papa. It makes it so much easier to handle, knowing he has received his reward, doesn't it?

Kevin and Laura said...

I'm so sad that you have lost your papa and yet so happy to know that one more soul is up in heaven. The older I get the more and more I hurt for those who believe they have no reason to live. Praise God that your papa knew why it was that he lived this life.