Friday, February 19, 2010

Love Worth Fighting For

So while I was driving to work this morning I was listening to KLOVE (this is becoming a regular occurrence b/c I like starting the day off on a positive note and remembering to be thankful for the day first thing) and they were interviewing Kirk Cameron! You know, Kirk Cameron from Growing Pains. They played the theme song to the show and now I'll be singing it all day long! Anyways, Kirk Cameron is heading up this Marriage Conference with singer Warren Barfield (whom I've never heard of) called Love Worth Fighting For. I'm intrigued. I really liked the movie Fireproof and I just really appreciated the message. Something that Kirk said this morning on the radio really spoke to me. He said:

"If you are trying to make this divine thing (meaning marriage) work without having God as the center of your own life it will never happen."

He said that MUCH better than what I just paraphrased but you get the point. See, I guess I don't think enough about how marriage is a DIVINE relationship that God WANTS for us. He designed the marriage relationship. It's almost like when Kirk said that a light bulb came on for me. It was an "AHA" moment. Jarred and I don't have major marriage problems but we do argue and fight, we're selfish, we're human...I just think that if you think about Marriage as something GIVEN to you from God it can change you. If you think about how you can make your marriage better just by having a personal relationship with your Heavenly Father you'd want to do it, right? I mean think of the blessings that would come if you and your spouse were trying to be more like Christ and one with him individually- it would naturally bring you together as a couple. I heard (at a marriage conference a couple years ago) that you can picture a pyramid. You at one corner and your spouse at the other, God being at the top...as you each grow closer to him you grow closer to one another as a result.

This is just something that hit me this morning, I'm still trying to gather all my thoughts on the matter but I wanted to put it out there for comments...I want to remember that my relationship with Jarred is a gift from God. I want to remember that sometimes if I'm wondering why we're not on the same page or wondering what's wrong, maybe before blaming Jarred for whatever it is I should look at myself first and wonder what my relationship with God has been like that day/week/whatever.

1 comment:

Kevin and Laura said...

Wow I didn't know you were blogging again. Good for you! Congrats on the job...too bad it isn't in Dallas:)