Thursday, February 11, 2010

Looking for Something to Read??

I have recently (meaning in the last 2 years or so) become a reader. I would have to say that growing up this was NOT something I enjoyed doing. I don't know if it was because my parents really didn't push it on me that much and I just didn't think about it, if it was because I had no interest in the books my school wanted me to read, or because I had a cousin who was reading CONSTANTLY and I knew I could never keep up with that so I just didn't care to read. What I know now is that if I find something I really like...oh my goodness, watch out b/c that's all I want to do until I've finished it. I understand her love of books now. My affection started with the Harry Potter books. I read all 7 (see I started after they were all out) in about a month. Around the time I got really into the series we took a beach trip with several of our friends from church and they can all testify that that's ALL I did, that entire week. I think I read 3 of the 7 in that one week. Since then I've read the series all over again. I just LOVE it. I never thought I would get into something like that but I did. I also got really into the Twilight Series! I read the first book in 2 nights...it was ridiculous. Anyways, I'm learning that I enjoy reading. I don't necessarily like self help books or non-fiction books but anything that I can get lost in I enjoy. I like books that I can read and not have to think to stay with them. You see, about a month ago I tried to get into Jane Austen books...I LOVE the movies so I thought I would probably love the books. However, my simple mind couldn't do it. There were too many people named "Thomas" and "Edmund" or "Edward." I couldn't keep all the characters straight and when you don't have time to read every day it's hard to keep it all straight when picking the book up 3 days later. So, I've decided to stick to teen fiction! :) I know this probably sounds pretty lame but I'm telling ya, I'm in to it! I'm not afraid to say it! Here's the two books I just finished...they were so fun! They are both part of a series so I've got to borrow the next books in both series b/c I'm dying to know what happens.

I finished Maximum Ride not too long ago...here's a picture of the cover. Yes, it's about mutant kids. And Yes, it's good. Trust me on this one.
















I also just finished (on Tuesday) The Hunger Games. Yes, it's awesome, it's set in the future, it's got a little love story (kind of) and I loved it...I'm dying to get the second book!















If you trust me, you should try these books out. Last night I started The Lightning Thief (based on the movie that just came out- or is coming out this weekend, I can't remember). So far so good, I'm only 3 chapters in. Here's the cover of it...I'm interested in seeing the movie but I wanted to read the book first. I'm new to this whole "reading the book before you see the movie thing" but so far I'm enjoying it! At least I'm enjoying it when the movie is good and doesn't leave out too much from the book. That makes me mad! Aka...the first Twilight movie! I thought they did a great job on the 2nd book though. I was happy about that. Hopefully it will just get better with the 3rd and 4th and not worse.


Well, that's what's been going on with me lately. I hope you don't think I'm crazy now- since you know I enjoy teen fiction, don't judge me till you try it!! I bet you enjoy it. It's fun reading!
Until next time...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You may like my new teen release, Angela 1: Starting Over. It's fast paced, fun, and engaging, but strictly real-world. If you're interested in knowing more, please follow the link to my website. If this is not what you like, please ignore. Thanks!

stevepvc said...

Hey, I just read the lightning thief, and I loved it!

Lana Summitt said...

Ok, The Lightening Thief book is fabulous. Movie is good too, but not like the book. Be forewarned!

Annie said...

Jenn! I didn't know you were back to blogging again. I love the picture of you and Jarred in your header. We miss you guys! So glad I've helped to inspire your love of reading... I'm so proud! :) I'm with you on Harry Potter, but Twilight... I don't know...